Maker State STEM Camp is
- All about hands-on building and play
- Fun-first computer programming
- 3D printing & design
- Minecraft Engineering
- Lots of Laser Tag and Outdoor Play every day
Our team is committed to your child’s future
Our kids have so much potential. It’s our role as parents to help our kids find their passions and pursue their dreams. I started MakerState STEM Summer Camp with my boy Ben to bring play-based, hands-on building projects in robotics, coding, and material engineering to elementary and middle school age kids. As a father and former public school teacher, I believe that we have to give our children hands-on opportunities to fall in love with tinkering, building, designing, programming, and inventing. And we must foster their early interests and skills in math, physics, and writing through fun, real-world projects. The communication, creativity, critical thinking, and problem solving skills they learn while playing, building and sharing will empower them in school, college, and career for a life of joy and fulfillment. I’m excited about our kids’ future!
Stephen & Ben Gilman
Our Mission and
How We Make It Happen
MakerState’s mission is to help transform K-12 education from lecture-based memorization to student-centered, inquiry-based, experiential learning, empowering our kids with life-transforming passions and creative masteries in 21st skills and 21st century technology. MakerState empowers kids ages 4-18 with new science, technology, engineering, arts, and math (STEAM) passions and skills through hands-on, in-school, after-school, and summer camp courses in coding and video game design, robot engineering, wearable electronic fashions, 3D design, rocket science, moviemaking, and more.
MakerState operates more than 70 school-based makerspaces in NYC and builds ongoing capacity by training teachers through programs like the National Science Foundation Maker Partnership and NYC DOE’s “CS4all”, helping train over 5,000 New York City teachers how to teach coding to their elementary and middle school students.
Why STEM Camp is SO MUCH FUN!
- Day camp for makers ages 6-14
- Two hands-on STEM tech arts projects a day
- Recess & play every day with laser tag and water balloons
- T-shirt, lanyard & project badges awarded
- Skill-building in coding, design, problem-solving, communicating, collaborating, and more
PLUS Outdoor Play!
In between our hands-on projects, we’ll take Play Breaks in and outside that give us plenty of time for fun, healthy games like Capture the Flag Laser Tag and water balloon relays! Along the way, we’ll earn Challenge Badges for new skills like Computational Thinking, Problem Solving, Engineering Design, Teamwork, and ChangeMaking. Fun first, hands-on, creative, skill-building-see you at STEM Camp!
A Day in the Life of STEM Camp
- 8:30am-9am: Drop off and play
- 9am Open Makerspace: exploring and creating with littleBits, MaKey MaKey, CircuitScribe, and Snap Circuits
- 9:30am Circle Meeting: Explore the morning Challenge and the Prototype we’ll build with a special emphasis on how it’s built, the STEM concept/skill we’ll learn, and where we see this in the real world (break time with healthy snacks)
- 11:30am Break for lunch and physical play recess that includes games, laser tag, water balloons and more
- 1:30pm Circle Meeting and another Challenge and Prototype building session in the afternoon
- 3pm Circle Debrief: we reflect upon our creativity and collaboration and earn our badges.
- 3:30pm Open Makerspace
- 4pm Pick up
REFER A NEW FRIEND & YOU BOTH SAVE $25!
We’ll rebate you $25 AND your friend $25 when your friend, whose child has never attended STEM Camp, enters the registration code STEMFRIEND and writes in your name when registering at the “How did you hear about MakerState Summer camp” question. Share it with as many fellow parents as you like via text/email/social media or in person and you both save $25 every time!